Sunday, August 8, 2010

Easy Summer Living



My schedule has been varied a bit over the last 2 weeks, so it seems almost like a holiday.

I had a booth both at the farmers' market in Rosseau and in North Bay on the August long weekend.

The young cria, Lily, started refusing the bottle from us. I guess after tasting the real stuff from her adoptive alpaca mom, the kid replacer just didn't cut it. She's also eating grass now. We need to keep an eye on her weight and make sure she keeps gaining.

Without the regular bottle feeding schedule, we've been able to spend some more time out at the lake. We still have to run home to look after the animals at least twice a day. Still, it seems like a holiday to be swimming, relaxing in the shade with a good book, visiting with family, fishing, etc.

We had a good rain for most of today. Tonight, I went out to take some nice shots of the green fields and perhaps some alpaca pictures.

It's hard to sneak up on the alpacas with a camera. Either they come up to put their noses into the lens, or more often than not, you end up taking a lot of pictures of alpaca butts as they turn and move away.


I was able to take a picture of one back pasture before the girls noticed me and figured they should run in to get some pellets.


We often have deer in our back pastures, sometimes even grazing alongside our alpacas. I counted six there tonight, although I couldn't get them all in one picture.

Do you remember Mr. Lonely?
Uhmm...pretty sure it's a Miss. Isn't she pretty? I think we will call her Miss Lovely from now on.
She's not so lonely anymore. Aren't they getting big?


I've been doing a lot of hand dyeing, both yarn and rovings.

Here's my 3 ply sock yarn in "Feet on Fire" colourway.
and "In The Navy" colourway.
This coming weekend, Aug 14th & 15th, I will have a booth at The Artist's Garden on Hwy 654 in Callander, Ontario. Check out the link. 22 artists and artisans show their wares and demonstrate their craft. I'll be hand spinning....alpaca, of course!

Thanks for stopping in to read my blog. It makes my day when I see that someone has left a comment.

3 comments:

Ann Dockendorf said...

Norma, I have greatly enjoyed reading your blog, learning about your success of fostering Lily and how your beautiful alpaca jackets came into being. Since we got our first alpacas 5 yrs ago, I've learned to hand-spin, too, and truly love the full circle of creating items from our animals' fleece. The enthusiasm is contagious and immediately resonates with others. Thank you for sharing!
cheers,
Ann
Aragon Alpacas
Eugene, Oregon USA

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Thanks for the comments, Ann. And now I've found your blog, too.

Diary From Africa said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog all the way over in Africa - it's lovely to 'meet' you & to find your blog, too !
Bye for now
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa