Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Something Old and Something New

There's a new piece of equipment at Misty Haven Alpacas.  Well, it isn't actually new.  In fact, this tractor is about 72 years old.  It's an Allis Chalmers B...we beleive from 1939 or 1940. 



My husband and daughter have made a new hobby out of this old tractor.  And it works!  Although it needs some adjusting and a few replacement parts, hubby has been cutting the back fields with it and hauling the manure spreader with it.


There is something amazing about motorized equipment that works 72 years after it came off of an assembly line.  Why is it that our cars seem to expire after 10 years maximum?

It's not just the admiration for the strength of the metal and the simplicity of the mechanics to last over seven decades.  I can't help looking at this tractor and try to imagine the farmer that bought it when it was brand new so many years ago.

My grandfather loved the large draft horses on his farm.  I have a favourite black and white photo of me standing in the field with my Papa and his huge horse, Pete.  I was about 4 years old and the top of my head was at Pete's mid-thigh.  I am wondering how my grandfather viewed the advent of the tractor on the farm.  Was he happy, did he view it as progress or did he know that it would lead to the demise of the working farm horse and thus the bond between farmer and his horse.

I have a few new yarns in my shop.  I had a new yarn done at Wellington Fibres in Elora, Ontario this year.  This is a fingering weight 2-ply yarn in a blend of 60% alpaca, 30% kid mohair and 10% fine wool.  I've created handspun in this blend for a shawl last year, and it's a beautifully soft blend that blooms with use.  I usually handdye my farm's yarns, but this year I asked the mill to dye some of the yarn.  I was very happy with the colours.


5 comments:

luckybunny said...

Your yarns look lovely. I'd love to see that old picture of you! Congrats on the new addition to the farm :)

Azure Accessories said...

Isn't it amazing how long the "older" things last...I think the key is they were made to last. Certainly aren't made that way in this day and age!

Beautiful looking yarn...would make a wonderful scarf? I saw a scarf you made last winter, Pat was wearing hers...it was gorgeous!

Cheers

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

luckybunny...I went looking through the chest at my old photos looking for that picture and lost an hour down memory lane...
Azure...thanks for the comment on the scarf Pat was wearing...that one is actually woven in handpainted Tencel yarn. This alpaca\kid mohair blend would make a lovely scarf, knit or woven.

trump said...

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon county. Have a great weekend folks. Richard from Amish Stories.

Mona said...

Lovely yarns Norma! And my hubby loves your 'new' tractor.