Sunday, January 22, 2012

Today, I Don't Feel Like Doing Anything

Do you know The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars?  It's a catchy tune.  If you don't know it, Google it.

The first time I heard it, my...ahem...middle-aged (yes, it's true, I can hardly admit it!) mind lamented about that aimless young person who thought it was okay to lay in bed all day and do nothing.

I heard it again on another day...while driving from one appointment to the next and trying to remember to pick up cat food and call the insurance company and hoping that I got to work on time while trying to decide which major project I should be devoting my time to and and reminding myself that it had been ages since I had paid a visit to my elders and pannicking that I had left my agenda at home...I turned up the radio trying to drown out the thudding boom, boom, boom of my blood pressure. 

I thought - HEY...this kid might have something here.

Imagine a day when you could just shut everything and everybody out and do nothing....

Would the world collapse?

In the end, would it matter?

I have been a person with To-Do lists.  Yes, plural.

There's the annual goals and aims list. (Yes, I do this...on paper....and post it where I can check in.  It does sound rather......yes, it does.  In my defense, it actually helps me prioritize, make decisions and cut the unnecessary crap from my life.)

I always have a big paper notebook that is my life on paper...if I lose it, I may cease to exist.

Then there is the monthly To-Do list in four sections Art, Yarn Business, Farm, Home/Family.

So, at the start of each week, I make a week list, hopefully that along with the usual chores, work, and obligations can attack some of the monthly To-Dos.  I try to schedule some of the Art to-dos on there.

And yes, daily there is a list...this includes tasks towards to monthly goals but also the stuff of mothers and small business owners (pick up toilet paper, update Etsy listing).


My name is Norma and I have an illness.

Actually, I am in recovery.  I have the big goal list.  I made a January To-Do list, but I haven't looked at it mostly.  I haven't made a 'real' week list or a today list for a couple months now.
I began to realize that I tend to put too much on my list to accomplish, and it left me breathless.

The other day, someone posted this on Facebook. (There was no credit given, so thanks to somebody out there in cyberland.)

I'm guessing it was an ad in the window of a yoga studio.

I think it is BRILLIANT.

It's at the top of my list every day.
Which means that I will always accomplish something and if I don't accomplish this...then nothing else matters.


And...TODAY, I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING!!!

(okay...I did help with the barn chores, and I may read, knit or watch reruns of ER...perhaps a load of laundry or two...)

6 comments:

luckybunny said...

A great idea indeed! I hope you did nothing (or just small things) and enjoyed your Sunday! I love that sign too. I'm a lot like you in that I have lists, always something to do, can't see sitting around, but sometimes we really do need to lighten up on ourselves and give ourselves a little break - especially people like you, it's not like you don't do enough already!

Zenitude said...

I hear ya! Those lists can be such a burden...reminding us we still have lots to do!
I'm good at telling others to stop and recharge their batteries but not so good at doing it myself.
Love the song...should become our mantra.

Debi said...

STOP! you go and REread this post, we arent nearly as important as we think we are and the world will keep turning if there is dust on the shelf...but their world will stop without you in it, so STOP! and practice what you preach to YOU just this once...♥Debi

Azure Accessories said...

lol...funny lady!!!

I hear you about the lists...if I'm behind and want to ensure I get things done in a timely manner I will make a "list" but for the most part it is hit and miss with me...when it gets done it gets done...but then I don't have any kids at home or a farm to take care of!!!

I've been making a bracelet/pendant since last summer that I stamp with the saying "Just Breathe"...:~) I wear one myself often,as it reminds me that life is short...enjoy the moment!

Yes..take a day every now and then and do what ever catches your attention...even if it is sitting at your favorite spot doing absolutely nothing!

Enjoy...
Cheers

Leigh said...

I love lists! I'd be lost without mine. If there's nothing in my notebook then I think I have nothing to do. Or wish anyway. :)

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Thanks all for dropping off a comment.
I did enjoy my "day off"...which incidentally included a couple reruns of ER season 2...oh, that George Clooney....oh, yeah.....
I'm gonna have another day off soon. Actually, it's funny that I'm somewhat low-gearing it every since Sunday ;) (Help, I'm becoming a teenager! LOL!)
Heather...I remember that bracelet!
Leigh...somehow it doesn't surprise me that you are a list-lady with your renovations and stockpiling records on your blog.