Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Harvest Rewards!




It's the nature of the fleece to yarn business that you have to wait a very long time to see the end result of your labour.

Just prior to last weekend's studio tour, I picked up part of my mill order from the bus parcel office. While still in town doing errands, I ran into my pal Rebecca in a plaza parking lot. "Want to see my new yarn?" I asked? We ripped open the box and found my new yarns.
They still felt damp.
"WOW - FRESH yarn!", Rebecca exclaimed, rubbing the skein against her neck.

I've never heard my harvest called fresh. We sheared late May, it takes quite a bit of time to skirt and sort the fibre properly and then get it to the mill. I was fortunate to get some of the order back by September. There is often a 6-7 month wait at the mini-mills.

Here's the FRESH stuff....a 3 ply sock blend I've named 'Blueberry Smoothie" and a grey-green alpaca/silk blend "Nipissing Granite".

This past weekend's Country Roads Tour was very successful and I enjoyed meeting many new visitors to the store.

Today, the International Plowing Match opens in Earlton, Ontario (new New Liskeard). This is the very first time in the IPM's long history that it has been situated in Northern Ontario. The people in the area have been working so hard to make this a success. I'm looking forward to taking the special excursion train for the day with my family. I've worked a booth at previous IPM's in Eastern and Southern parts of Ontario and it's always been a great time.
This will be Amy's first trip on a train. Such adventure awaits!

No comments: