Monday, December 13, 2010

Art Yarn

I've recently been intrigued by the creation of "Art Yarn".  I found an Art Yarn group on Ravelry and was drawn to the pictures.  The process looks incredibly creative compared to my attempts at traditional balanced yarn.  I'm thinking of spending some time trying this soon.  To this end, I ordered the book,
Intertwined: The Art of Handspun Yarn, Modern Patterns, and Creative Spinning by Lexi Boeger.

In it, I found a most eloquent passage on handspun yarn that just made my heart swell.

"Handspun yarns are made by concious beings, not unconcious machines.  This imbues them with an internal energy, giving them character and uniqueness.  Each yarn is a reflection of the individual spinner who made it.  It is this quality that makes handspun yarn so amazing to work with.  As you work through a skein, you can see, inch by inch, the decisions that the spinner made.  It passes before you just like a story."

This probably translates to any handcrafted product, doesn't it....

2 comments:

Azure Accessories said...

It looks as though you are on the verge of expanding your horizons!!! Good for you...the "Art Yarn" looks amazing.

Isn't that the most perfect description of "handmade"...some people have an amazing way with words!

PS...wanted to say Alicia is such a beautiful girl...and I'm sure your book collection kept you busy the last few days during our snow storm...when you had a few moments to your self that is!!! At least we don't live in the Sarnia/London region as this area has been declared a state of emergency!!!

Enjoy your reading...& experimentation with yarn!
Cheers

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Thanks for dropping in.
I'd like to say that I had lots of time for reading this last week, but it seems this snow adds a lot of work around the farm.

But, yes, I am thankful that we aren't caught in the same situation as those folks near Sarnia. I am definitely checking my winter safety gear in the car...if it can happen there, it can happen here.

N