Friday, March 12, 2010

Fantastic, It's Friday!

Funny that I should feel like "Thank God It's Friday", given that I don't work a regular Monday to Friday work week. But I do.

Here in Ontario, we are having record breaking warm temperatures for this time of year.
Look, it's not even the middle of March and there are green things growing where the snow is melting!

Still some snow left, but the llamas have been out walking to the big pine in their pasture. See their tracks?
That big pine must be very old. I've only been around this property for 28 years and it has a huge history for me. Nephews and nieces had forts in those branches. I used to pick raspberries underneath...that was until the llamas came and found that raspberry bushes make good bellyscratchers. I always think of the history of these old trees and how many other previous owners of this property have used this tree for shade while taking a break from working the fields. How many other people have watched a lightning storm, hoping that their favorite big pine would be saved.

The chickens are venturing outside these days, excited to be looking for yummy things.
However, when I spread some hay on the ground for the alpacas right next to the chicken house...the chickens decided to run for cover before the alpacas remembered how much fun chicken-soccer was.

Alicia decided to cooperate with me and give me some good pictures.
If you aren't an alpaca-producing fibre fanatic, you might look at these pictures and admire the cute face.
And you might be thinking about what a gentle looking unique creature an alpaca is.

I, on the other hand, look at Alicia and see....
This picture is of product created from her last year's fleece.

I am getting anxious for harvest time again! It's easier to rub the fibre against your neck, when it's off the animal. If you don't understand what I mean by that...you probably aren't a knitter or weaver. (smile)

If you are enjoying my blog and if you have the time, please leave a comment.

Have a good weekend.

5 comments:

Zenitude said...

TGIF! and it's also the March break!
Great to see the animals.

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Thanks.
Usually the alpacas see you with a camera and either 1) put their ears down and nose up to warn you that they will spit at that thing 2) come running up before you can click so that you get a great shot of their snout or 3) high-tail it so you get lots of great alpaca bum shots.
N

marj. said...

March break and mud.
Isn't it funny how some animals like the camera. I have some here that after 5 years I still don't have a decent shot of and others that are perfect almost every time. Go figure.
I like the scarf, did you weave it?

Azure Accessories said...

Great shots Norma...I always love to see your life shots!!!

Wow...that is some "big" pine you have there...and notice the tracks...it almost looks as though they walk the same route there and back???

Chicken-soccer...now that would be an interesting sight!

Alicia is cute but like you I would see her as the bottom photo...

Sunny and 7C here this morning!!! Last evening the long range forecast has highs of 16C next week??????

Enjoy your weekend...
Cheers

Norma from Misty Haven Alpacas said...

Hey Marj,

I would like to claim fame for that beautiful scarf, but my friend Jane weaves for my shop sometimes and it is her lovely work.

Hi Heather,

Nice to hear from you. The llamas use that same route in the summer...I don't think they can walk a straight path because they are too busy gawking around.
Yes - the weather is incredible.

Take care.
Norma